PLACEMENT and exemption EXAMS
- Take the placement exam if you wish to enroll in a class but are unsure as to which level is appropriate. A placement recommendation will appear at the end of the exam.
- If you are learning Spanish as a second language, log on to CCLE and take the Spanish Placement Exam.
- If you are learning Portuguese as a second language, log on to CCLE and take the Portuguese Placement Exam.
- If you are a heritage speaker of Spanish, log on to CCLE and take the Spanish Placement Exam for Heritage Speakers.
SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE ONLINE PLACEMENT EXAMS
- 100 questions
- 5 hours, Timed
- Multiple Choice and Fill-in-the-blank
To determine your current proficiency and receive a recommendation as to which course to enroll in at UCLA, you need only take the Online Placement Exam. You may take the exam at any time, preferably on campus to avoid compatibility issues. The Department does not take responsibility if you attempt the exam on a personal computer and experience problems with the listening portion. We cannot reset the exam.
SPANISH ONLINE EXEMPTION EXAMS
- If you wish to test out of the College’s foreign language requirement (3 quarters of college-level foreign language) through examination without taking a class you should take the exemption exam.
- Please note that students may take the exemption exam only ONCE while at UCLA.
ONLINE EXEMPTION EXAM (PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY)
Students who wish to meet the College foreign language requirement (3 quarters of college-level foreign language) by examination must take the Online Exemption Exam, which consists of listening, reading, vocabulary, writing and speaking,
Part 1 – Listening, Speaking and Vocabulary
- 45 questions
- Multiple choice
- 30 minutes
Note: You must pass Part 1 with a score of 73% or better in order to take Part 2. If you achieve 73% or better, a link will appear at the end of Part 1 that will allow you to continue to Part 2. If you do not pass Part 1 with a score of 73% or better, your exam will end and you will not be exempt from the College Language Requirement and should enroll in the appropriate class to meet your requirement.
Part 2 – Writing and Speaking
- The written section consists of one prompt to which the student must respond in at least 120 words, using appropriate vocabulary and grammar that demonstrates competence.
- The student is allowed 25 minutes to complete the writing section.
- The oral exam will consist of a brief oral interview in which the student is expected to demonstrate the ability to answer questions, discuss him or herself and others in the past, present, and future, as well as express opinions.
- The oral exam is 5 minutes in length.
The Written and Oral Exams will be scored by the department and you will receive your results later in the quarter.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT TAKING THE EXEMPTION EXAM ONLINE:
In order to take the exam, you must use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitoring, which is provided by UCLA and a link to download Respondus will appear when you click on the exam link.
You may take the exam from any computer, however you are only allowed one attempt. If you have any doubts about your computer and/or Internet connection you should plan on taking the exam during drop-in hours in one of the following computer labs
LearningLab@Rolfe (Rolfe Hall 2118)
CDH (Public Affairs 1040, 1041)
Please plan accordingly. The department is not responsible for failures due to your personal equipment and/or Internet and the exam will not be reset.