Portuguese and Romance Linguistics
Office: 5325 Rolfe Hall
Phone: (310) 206-8584
UCLA Spanish & Portuguese
BOX 951532, 5332 Rolfe Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1542
- Ph.D. (1972) Linguistics, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Certificate (1968) Graduate Studies in English and American Literature, Universidade de São Paulo
- Bacharel (B.A.) and Licenciado (1965) Letters (English and Portuguese), Universidade de São Paulo
- The Structure of Complementation. Story-Scientia, Ghent (1982).
- Aspects of Romance Linguistics (ed.) (with C. Parodi, M. Saltarelli and M. Zubizarreta), Georgetown University Press, Washignton, DC. (1996).
- "Portuguese Reflexivization and Some Related Problems.” In Fillmore, Charles, ed. Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol. 10, (1971).
- "On Portuguese Impersonal Verbs.” In Schmidt-Radefeldt, J., ed., Readings in Portuguese Linguistics (North-Holland , (1973).
- "Missing Subjects in Portuguese.” In Hensey, F. and Lujan, M., eds., Current Studies in Romance Linguistics, Georgetown University Press, Washington, D.C., (1976).
- "Conditions on Clitic Movement in Portuguese." Linguistic Analysis (1975).
- "Conditions on Quantifier Movement in French." Linguistic Inquiry (1976).
- "Some Characteristics of the Caipira Dialect.” Encruzilhadas/Crossroads (1978).
- "Clitic Movement in French Causatives." Linguistic Analysis (1979).
- "The Placement of Y, En in French Causatives." Linguistic Analysis (1981).
- "The Structure of Complementation. Story-Scientia, Ghent, (1982).
- "Finite and Infinitival Agreement in Portuguese." Encruzilhadas/Crossroads (1982).
- "Some Issues on the Theory of Clitics." Linguistic Analysis (1982).
- "Deductive Systems and the Concept of Reality in Linguistic Theory." Manuscript (1982).
- "Remarks on French Clitic Systems." Linguistic Analysis (1984).
- "Zero Stimulation for Parameter Setting." (with R. Freidin) Behavioral and Brain Sciences (1989).
Current Graduate Students