- Ph.D. Hispanic Languages and Literatures, University of California, Los Angeles (2017).
- M.A. Spanish: linguistics and Latin American literature, California State University, Long Beach (1999)
- B.A. Spanish, California State University, Long Beach (1995)
- Aesthetic debates on Modernist, testimonial and social realist literature as they appeared in Cuban journals such as Casa de las Américas, La Gaceta de Cuba and Caimán Barbudo in the 1960s
- The institutionalization of culture within the Cuban Revolution
- Ideological constructs of the Cold War and the Congress for Cultural Freedom
- Promotion of the Boom novel in the Paris-based review Mundo Nuevo
- The “specter of Haiti” in the works of 19th and 20th century Hispanophone Caribbean essayists and novelists
Publications & Presentations
- “San Juan, escritura y amor: una entrevista a Eduardo Lalo sobre su novela Simone.” Interview conducted by Nitzaira Delgado-García and Daniel Whitesell. Mester, Vol. 43, Issue 1, 2015. Online / Print.
- “José Martí, el imperialismo y la noción de raza.” Paper presented at Congreso Internacional Cuba Trasatlántica. Havana. June 9-12, 2013.
- “Introducing Leonardo Acosta, Music and Literary Critic.” Raúl Fernández and Daniel Whitesell, A Contracorriente, Vol. 5, No. 3, Spring 2008, 95-121. Online.
- “Leonardo Acosta: desde afuera y por arriba.” Raúl Fernández y Daniel Whitesell, La gaceta de Cuba March/April 2007. Print.
- “Freire, Cuban Style” by Esther Pérez, in Memories of Paulo, edited by Tom Wilson, Peter Park and Anaida Colón-Muñiz, Rotterdam/Taipei: Sense Publications, 2010, 125-32. Print.
- “Literary material and lived experience in Los pasos perdidos,” in Alejo en tierra firme by Leonardo Acosta, A Contracorriente 5, No. 3, Spring 2008, 127-133. Online.
- “On generic complexes and other topics in Cuban popular music” by Leonardo Acosta, Journal of Popular Music Studies, Volume 17 Number 3. 2005, Blackwell Publishing. Print.
- Cubano Be, Cubano Bop: One Hundred Years of Jazz in Cuba by Leonardo Acosta, Washington: Smithsonian Press, 2003. Print.