- M.A. Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language, Universidad de Alcalá (2012)
- B.A. English, Universidad de Alcalá (2006)
I’m interested in the relation between word and image, fiction and non-fiction, and narratives like the comic that problematize its place in the cultural panorama. The dual nature of the graphic novel multiplies the broad range of possibilities and narrative resources at one’s disposal, in addition to those that arise from the source of language itself. In the same way it benefits from not only centuries of literary and visual tradition, but also a collection of unique mechanisms that have developed and are distinct to the tradition itself. Heterography, abstract comics, oubapos, the metafiction of El resentido or Maco’s surrealism are exercises of experimentation that question the formal limits of the medium and resist classification.
In particular, I propose to analyze the rupture of the narrative voice, and the confusion between author, narrator and character in experimental graphic novels whose reading is interactive and non-linear. My work would explore experimentalism, understood as the infinite variety of expressive resources, of techniques and processes, of themes, of readers, and of the predisposition to defy the imposed limits of tradition, format, markets, etc. My interest in this field also extends to themes related to the formation of canons, literary theory and the philosophy of aesthetics.
Lately, I’ve been editing On the Edge of the Panel: Essays on Comics Criticism that will be published this year by Cambridge Scholar Publishing. Likewise, I have been exploring the creation of Spanish cultural identity in the works by Paco Roca and Miguelanxo Prado.
- “Tácticas de Luchadoras: El Alma de Cuidad Juárez” Latin American Literature Today, Vol. 1, no. 6, (2018). Web.
- “De anzuelos y psicopompos o cómo econtrar la salida al laberinto de la alienación” Revista Brumal, Vol.5, no. 1, (2017): 43-6
- La proyección social del cómic estadounidense en la España tardofranquista” Nueva Revista del Pacífico, vol. 61, 2015, pp. 39-55, Chile: Universidad de Playa Ancha (UPLA).
- “Escapism and hyperreality in The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Proprietor”, Revista de Estudios Ingleses, vol. 19, 2011, pp.105-129, Madrid: UCM.
- Review for the “Joint International Conference of Graphic Novels, Bandes Dessinées and Comics”, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, July 2011”, in Studies in Comics, Intellect Ltd.: UK, Volume 2, Issue 2.
- “Vanishing Memories: Alzheimer’s Disease in Paco Rocas’s Arrugas and Miguelanxo Prado’s Ardalén” 2017 Comics & Medicine Conference: Access Points, Seattle Public Library Central Branch, June 15th- 17th, 2017.
- “Persecution and Exclusion in Roca and Oesterheld” The Eighth International Graphic Novel and Comics Conference Joint International Conference of Graphic Novels, Bandes Dessinées & Comics: Borders Identity, Difference and Representation, University of Dundee & University of Glasgow, Monday 26th to Friday 30th June 2017.
- “La proyección social del cómic estadounidense en la España tardofranquista” Paper presentation at the 7thTransatlantic Studies Conference: Global Challenges to the Transatlantic World. Universidad de Alcalá, October 24th – 26th, 2013.
- “El grafiador en Jimmy Corrigan: entre el futurismo y el arte pop” Invited plenary speaker at Summer Course on pop culture and auteur’s graphic novels and visual art. Universidad de León, 6-8 July, 2012.
- “Robert Coover’s work: Blurring boundaries between fiction and reality” XXXIV Congreso AEDEAN, Universidad de Almería, 11-13 November, 2011.
- “The deconstruction and the reconstruction of a hero: A theoretical approach to Steven T. Seagle’s It’s a bird.” Paper presentation at the Joint International Conference of Graphic Novels, Bandes dessinées and Comics, Manchester Metropolitan University, 5-8 July, 2011.
- “Persépolis: In the crossroads of two cultures” Paper presentation at the Comics Forum, Leeds City Art Gallery. November 18, 2010.
- “Escapism and Hyperreality in Coover’s The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Proprietor” Paper presentation at the The 4th International Conference & Festival of the Electronic Literature Organization, June 3-6, 2010, Brown University, 2010.
- “Marjane Satrapi’s postmodern Feminism” Paper presentation at the IX Jornadas Internacionales de Estudios de la Mujer, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 15-17 de marzo, 2010
- “Jimmy Corrigan: Breaking the reader’s horizon of expectations”. Paper presentation at the Academic perspectives on Comics, Manga & Graphic Novels as Intercultural & Intermedial Phenomena International Conference, Linnaeus University, Växjö (Sweden) 16–18 April, 2009.
- “Maus or how to subvert your own work – and survive.” Paper presentation at Primer Congreso Internacional “Voices and Visions” Universidad de St. Louis, Madrid, 2009.
- “A Diachronic perspective of female graphic novels”. Paper presentation at the 10th International Conference “Mundos de Mujeres/ Women’s Worlds” Universidad Complutense de Madrid, July 3-9, 2008.
- “La dignidad del perdedor: las novelas gráficas de Paco Roca” Universidad de León. In press.