Enrolling in a Spanish or Portuguese Language Class
Our language classes fill very quickly. If you plan to enroll in Spanish or Portuguese to fulfill your Language Requirement, please follow the suggestions below:
- Do not wait until your final year to enroll in courses to fulfill your Language Requirement or to take the Placement Exam/Exemption Exam.
- Use your first pass to enroll in a language class.
Choose the right course for you:
- Log on to Bruin Learn and take the appropriate Placement Exam. The placement exam will provide you with an immediate recommendation.
- If you are a Spanish heritage speaker (Spanish was spoken in your home when you were growing up – regardless of your proficiency level), take the Placement Exam for Heritage Speakers and enroll in a course for heritage learners (7A, 7B or 27).
- Do not repeat a course that you already took in high school.
- Summer Classes — We offer language courses during Summer Session on campus as well as in our Summer Travel Study Programs to Mexico and Spain.
- Exemption Exam — You may also take the Exemption Exam if you wish to attempt to test out of the Language Requirement.
- University Extension — You may also consider taking an online course through University Extension.
Full Classes and Wait Lists
- If the class you wish to add is full, put your name on the wait list for the class. You will move up in the order you have added your name to the wait list as students adjust their schedules and seats become available.
- The only way to enroll in a full class is via the wait list. We will not assign PTEs for any full class and we will not exceed the enrollment caps.
- Do not purchase the textbook and/or other materials unless you are enrolled in the class (not just wait listed).