Students may meet the Language Requirement by successfully completing and passing the Exemption Exam. Students must demonstrate competency in listening, speaking, reading and writing equivalent to the end of the third quarter of the language program to pass the exemption exam.
Do not wait until your final quarter to attempt the exam. If you do not pass the exam, you will have to enroll in a class to fulfill your Language Requirement.
Exemption Exams in Spanish and Portuguese can be taken through Bruin Learn (see below). For Exemption Exams in any of the other languages, please contact the Director of the Language Program to request an exam.
How to Take the Test Online
In order to take the exam, you must use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitoring, which is provided by UCLA. A link to download Respondus will appear when you click on the exam link.
You may take the exam from any computer, however, you are only allowed one attempt.
- If you have any doubts about your computer and/or Internet connection you should plan on taking the exam during drop-in hours in the Learning Lab @ Rolfe Hall 2118. Click here for hours and information.
- This exam functions best using Google Chrome.
- The department is not responsible for failures due to your personal equipment and/or Internet and the exam will not be reset.
Exemption Exam: Format
Part 1 – Listening, Vocabulary and Grammar
You may complete Part 1 at any time during the academic year and the summer.
- You must pass Part 1 with a score of 73% or better in order to take Part 2.
- If you achieve 73% or better, a link will appear which will direct you to Part 2.
- If you do not pass Part 1 with a score of 73% or better, your exam will end. You will not be exempt from the Language Requirement and should enroll in the appropriate class to meet your requirement.
Part 2 – Writing and Speaking
The exams are equivalent in level and scope to the Spanish 3 final exams. In order to pass the Exemption Exam, you must have the ability expected from a student who successfully completes Spanish 3.
The Written and Speaking Exams will be scored by the department. Students can expect their results by 1-2 weeks after the close of the exam period, via email. Students will not be provided feedback on their results and will only be informed of whether they passed.
Exemption Exam Test Dates
You may complete Part 1 at any time during the academic year and the summer. Part 2 is only available during Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters during the specific dates indicated below – no exceptions. Part 2 is not available during the summer.
- Fall Quarter 2022 Exemption Exam – Part 2:
Open September 26 – October 14, 2022. Close at 5:00 pm on October 14, 2022
- Winter Quarter 2023 Exemption Exam – Part 2:
Open January 9 – January 27, 2023. Close at 5:00 pm on January 27, 2023
- Spring Quarter 2023 Exemption Exam – Part 2:
Open April 3– April 21, 2023. Close at 5:00 pm on April 21, 2023
Click on the link below to access the Exemption Exam. On the home page for the Exemption Exam, make sure to click on “Join this Course” in the menu on the right-hand side of the home page. Once you join the course, you will see all of the instructions for accessing and completing the exam.
The department will notify you of your results approximately 2 weeks after the close of the exam period.